I had high expectations going in to Mykonos, with my love for house music and little towns, and I was not disappointed…Not to mention the sunsets while sipping amazing cocktails. Keep reading to find out what to do in Mykonos, Greece!
NOTE: Most of the restaurants, beaches and clubs in Mykonos are only open during the summer months!
Disclosure: This “What To Do In Mykonos, Greece” post may contain affiliate links. I may receive commissions for purchases made through links in this post. As always, all opinions are my own and I would never post about something I have not personally used/verified.
HOW TO GET TO MYKONOS
We took a ferry from Athens to Mykonos which was super easy and quick. We took it from the Rafina port, which has more time options than Pireus. The ferry was about 2 hours with assigned seating, like an airplane. It was a really interesting experience as well as affordable (around $60). You can also fly here from Athens and other select European countries.
WHAT TO DO IN MYKONOS, GREECE
Spend a full day in Chora (the main town) and get lost in the alleys. The whole town is tiny but you can easily get lost roaming these streets, eating amazing food, marveling at the all-white buildings and blue accents and shopping in the stores. I suggest spending your morning and early afternoon doing this and eating plenty of good meals and ice cream in between!
One stop you must make is on the top of Chora at the windmills – it’s an amazing site. Four windmills line the hill and you can look over the water and edge of Chora and Little Venice together. This is the most famous view of Mykonos.
When the afternoon starts to come to an end, head to the Little Venice area (part of the town on the border of the water). This area consists of tons of bars that overlook the sunset. It is the most stunning view…and the cocktails are amazing, but they will cost you. There are a myriad of bars to choose from, and I suggest picking wherever you can get a seat legitimately on the water. We sat at Scarpa and the drinks were amazing. Galleraki is another great option right next door. The sunset is absolutely perfect.
Rent them for a day and ride around the island stopping at different areas like the locals do. There are many gorgeous beaches on the island that you can travel to on them. You can rent one from any beach or area in town.
If you are staying in town and not on a beach, I highly suggest going to check out and lay at one of the famous beaches in Mykonos. Some gorgeous ones are: Paradise Beach (a party one, but gorgeous), Psarou (trendy, famous celebrity-heavy beach), Super Paradise (generally where gays like to party), Platis Gialos (close to town) and Paraga (one of most popular and crowded).
While I didn’t have time for this, I heard this day activity was amazing if you have more time in Mykonos. You can take a short ferry trip (30 minutes) to Delos Island which is known for its awesome archaeological ruins.
Click on any of the Mykonos activities above to get more information!
WHAT TO EAT
We went to amazing places for dinners as well as sunset drinks (mentioned above)! All of these restaurants are located in Chora unless noted.
- Fato A Mano: Amazing for dinner and good prices. My favorite restaurant.
- Nikos Taverna: Traditional Greek food, definitely recommended.
- M-Eating: Another option for great traditional Greek food.
- Raya: Cute little restaurant overlooking the old port in Chora. Good breakfast food!
- Nobu Matsuhisa: If you are feeling fancy. In the Belvedere Hotel.
- Avra Restaurant: Has a cute outdoor garden eating area.
- Nammos: This restaurant is on one of the beaches, Psarou. It is one of the most famous (and nicest) restaurants and beaches in Mykonos. Go here for lunch. This is the beach all of the famous celebrities tend to go to.
Click on any of the restaurants above to learn more and book reservations!
WHERE TO STAY IN MYKONOS
We stayed in Paradise Beach, where all the late-night (and daytime!) partying happens. There is a bus that goes straight into Chora and leaves every 30 minutes right from the hotel and only takes 15-20 minutes to get there, it was so convenient. While many other people would say to stay in the middle of town, I say otherwise if you are there to party. We much preferred to take a bus to and from town during the day as opposed to 2 AM from the club and back into town.
Our hotel was called Tropicana Hotel and was absolutely PERFECT and was so gorgeous with the most beautiful view and balcony, as well as walking distance to the party day club and nightclubs. The price was beyond cheap for what it was. Highly recommended, book Tropicana Hotel Mykonos here!
If you are visiting Mykonos for the town only and not the clubs, then there are plenty of good hostels and small hotels located right in the middle of the town, check out some Mykonos town hotel options here!
WHERE TO PARTY
- NIGHTTIME: Mykonos gives Ibiza a run for its money on the party scene. Even though I went in beginning of June, before “DJ season”, it was crazy. Generally the party area is on Paradise Beach. This is where the two biggest clubs are on the island, both making the top 20 in the world, Cavo Paradiso and Paradise Club. They alternate nights so not to worry, you will go to both. These clubs hold the top DJs in the world, so they do not disappoint.
- DAYTIME: There are a few famous beach day parties in Mykonos. One of the biggest day clubs is also on the same road as the others, the Tropicana Beach Club. Get here before 4PM, and it will be a casual gorgeous beach with amazing lounge chairs. But at the turn of 4PM, it does a 180 and gets beyond crazy with champagne showers, crazy drinks and dancing on the tables. Another daytime party spot, Nammos, is a very trendy popular one where you can’t go wrong. Recently, Scorpios has been gaining more popularity as the it place to be for day parties, too. All of these beach clubs you can also just eat lunch at so they are perfect for any type of person.
- If you are staying in Chora and are not the club type, I suggest going to the trendy Skandinavian Bar!
Like this “What To Do In Mykonos” travel guide? Pin it for later or share with friends!
Did I miss something in “What To Do In Mykonos” that you loved? Let me know in the comments for my next visit! Don’t forget to check out my full Greece travel guide here!